The teaching assistant diploma course will provide you with all the knowledge you need to succeed as a teaching assistant in the United Kingdom. This information packed training course gives you everything you will need to know to secure a position within the teaching industry and push yourself forward in your chosen career.
Introduction to the Teaching Assistant Diploma
This teaching assistant course is offered online, which gives you the ability to study at your own pace and in your own time. You can still work a full time position while studying to get the certification you need to secure your dream position in the teaching industry.
The teaching assistant diploma course is accessible on any device with access to the internet, complete with online support throughout your training. The course comprises of a comprehensive syllabus broken into easy and manageable modules.
On completion of the level 2 teaching assistant course you will be required to complete a multiple choice test and once passed you will be awarded with your industry recognised certification, which you can download and print or you can have posted to you at an additional cost.
What you will learn:
The teaching assistant diploma is designed to provide you with a complete overview, enabling you to start your new position in the education industry in the shortest period of time. This course includes:
- The role of the teaching assistant along with valuable information about the position.
- Get a good understanding on schools, including hierarchy and curriculums throughout the country.
- Learn best practices when working in a classroom.
- Identify different student behaviours and how to deal with them.
- Understand various learning activities and how to use them to support the curriculum.
- Learn the different school policies, laws and welfare of children in the United Kingdom.
- Have a good understanding of literacy and how to support pupils.
- Learn about numeracy and its importance in everyday life.
- Get a good understanding on why play is so important and how it is important in education.
- Learn about health and safety and first aid in the school environment.
- Get information on working with children with special needs.
- Learn how to support talented children in your classroom.
- Get valuable insight into working with children whose first language is not English, along with the benefits of being bilingual.
- The course will teach you how to handle children with different behavioural issues, along with the personal development of children moving forward.
- Understand how to engage parents in their children’s learning and the importance thereof.
- Get an understanding of various extracurricular activities and how you can assist with them.
- Learn the importance of working as a team and how to support your teacher to ensure that the children receive the best education at all times when in your care.
Benefits of the course:
- Study from anywhere and at any time that is suitable to you. You can study at home after work or during your lunch break.
- Study at your own pace, complete the course within days or months based on your current schedule and workload.
- Study using any device, from your PC when at home, to your tablet or mobile phone when on the move.
- The course is broken into easy to manage modules to ensure the most enjoyable learning experience at all times.
- Enjoy the convenience of online support throughout your study experience to ensure that you stay on track at all times.
- Learn from a comprehensive syllabus, which is guaranteed to give you the knowledge you need to fast track your career within the education industry.
- Improve your prospects when applying for teaching assistant positions.
- Enjoy the added benefit of a certified diploma that you can trust.
- Affordable pricing structure.
Module 1: Defining and Explaining the Role of a Teaching Assistant
- To learn how to train as a teaching assistant in the UK
- To understand the different roles a teaching assistant may take on
- To learn about the different ways a teaching assistant can support a classroom
- To learn about how the position of teaching assistant is evolving
Module 2: Understanding Schools as Organisations
- To learn about why schools need organisation
- To learn about the hierarchy of a school
- To learn about the national curriculum
- To learn about different types of schools
Module 3: Supporting Development in Pupils: Practice and Policies
- To learn about the most recent research done in education in the UK
- To learn about best practices when working in the classroom
- To learn about best practices when preparing for class
- To learn about best practices when facilitating interventions
Module 4: Supporting the Teacher and the School
- To learn how to best support the teacher as a teaching assistant
- To learn how to best support the school as a teaching assistant
- To learn how to deal with pupil behaviour
- To learn how to promote learning
Module 5: Applying Learning Activities to Support the Teaching of the Curriculum
- To understand how learning activities can support the curriculum
- To understand which learning activities might support critical thinking skills
- To understand which learning activities might support creative thinking skills
- To understand how to use learning activities to encourage the development of social skills
Module 6: Legislation, Legal Obligations and School Policies to Ensure Pupil Wellbeing
- To learn about common law care, statutory care and school policies
- To learn how obligations towards pupil wellbeing have evolved
- To learn about the different laws that govern child welfare in the UK
- To learn about the school’s role in ensuring child welfare in the UK
Module 7: Learning Literacy Skills with Teaching Assistant Support
- To understand the importance of literacy in the National Curriculum
- To have a fuller understanding of what literacy is
- To learn the different roles that teaching assistants play in supporting literacy
- To learn about different methods of supporting literacy
Module 8: Learning Numeracy Skills with Teaching Assistant Support
- To understand what numeracy is
- To understand the importance of numeracy in daily life
- To learn about ways that teaching assistants support numeracy in the classroom
- To learn about different methods for supporting the mathematics curriculum
Module 9: Supporting the Use of Information and Communication Technology
- To understand the importance of information and communication technology in the classroom
- To understand what constitutes information and communication technology
- To understand the importance of perpetual training in classroom technology
- To learn about health and safety procedures for classroom technology
Module 10: Supporting Play and Learning
- To understand what play is and how children play
- To understand the importance of play in education
- To understand the role of the teaching assistant in play
- To learn about how teaching assistants can support play
Module 11: Supporting Pupils with Disabilities and Special Education Needs
- To learn about different types of disabilities
- To learn about how some types of disabilities and needs overlap
- To understand the importance of learning about an individual pupil’s disability or needs
- To learn how to support different disabilities and needs in the classroom
Module 12: Supporting Gifted and Talented Pupils
- To learn about who gifted and talented pupils are
- To learn the teaching assistant’s role in identifying gifted and talented pupils
- To learn the teaching assistant’s role in supporting gifted and talented pupils
- To learn about designing learning tasks for gifted and talented pupils
Module 13: Working With Children Who Don’t Have English as a First Language
- To understand the benefits and advantages a bilingual student may have
- To learn how the primary language can help students learn English
- To learn how to effectively teach a student who has English as an additional language
- To learn how to set up an effective learning environment for these students
Module 14: Managing Behaviour, Providing Pastoral Support and Engaging in Personal Development
- To learn about bad behaviour and where it comes from
- To learn how to proactively deal with bad behaviour
- To learn how you might provide pastoral support to your pupils
- To learn about ways that you can encourage personal development in pupils
Module 15: Engaging Parents in Their Children’s Learning
- To understand what research says about engaged parents and students
- To understand the common barriers of parent engagement
- To learn how students, parents and teachers feel about parent involvement
- To learn how to get past common barriers of parent engagement
Module 16: Planning and Delivering Learning Activities Under the Direction of the Teacher
- To understand what learning activities are
- To learn about different types of learning activities
- To learn what criteria makes a great learning activity
- To learn the role of the teaching assistant in planning learning activities
Module 17: Leading Extracurricular Activities
- To understand why extracurricular activities are important
- To learn about different types of extracurricular activities
- To learn about the role of the teaching assistant in extracurricular activities
- To learn how to interact with pupils outside of the classroom
Module 18: Working Effectively as a Team and Promoting Good Working Relationships
- To learn about the benefits of effective communication with colleagues
- To learn how to define a good working relationship
- To understand how to begin relationships with support and administrative staff
- To learn how to deal with difficult colleagues through communication
Module 19: Confidentiality, Equal Opportunities, Safeguarding, Promoting Equality & Diversity With Students
- To understand the importance of confidentiality and information sharing
- To learn how to provide equal learning opportunities to all students
- To understand best practices in safeguarding students in school
- To know what legislation has been enacted to protect certain individuals
Module 20: Health, Safety and First Aid
- To learn about the reasons health and safety legislation is in place
- To learn about all of the prominent laws about health and safety
- To understand how these regulations apply to teaching assistants
- To know what it takes to be a first aider in a school